In the late nineteenth century, Dr. C. L. Kirksey lived in a small town on the banks of the Arkansas River in central Arkansas. This was Dover where the good doctor established his medical practice. He was also a Methodist preacher.
Dr. C. L. came from Helena, Alabama. He spent two and a half years at the University of Alabama. He then entered the Confederate Army as third lieutenant. After release from the Army he returned home and had no money so he taught school for a year. He served as a minister for about two years and then returned to college at the Atlanta Medical College in 1871 and graduated as a M.D. Shortly after, he and his family migrated to Arkansas.